Friday, April 20, 2012

For the birds

But first, check out who our actual first customer turned out to be.
Not who we intended to be feeding, but everyone has to eat, right?

We started this project the other day.
Actually, we made two bird feeders.

The first one was super simple.
Gavin found this GIANT pinecone. I mean, it's humongous!!

I gave him a knife and an almost empty jar of peanut butter and he went to town.


Sticky peanut butter hands and rolling around birdseed created a bigger mess than I anticipated.

But it turned out fantastic!
Our next bird feeder I discovered on Pinterest.
Still very simple, but a few more ingredients than just peanut butter and birdseed.

Recipe:
4 cups of wild bird seed
1/2 cup of warm water
1 envelope of Knox gelatin
3/4 cup of flour
bundt pan
nonstick spray
3 tbl light corn syrup
whisk
wooden spoon

First we took a big bowl and whisked together the water and gelatin.
Next, the flour was added along with the corn syrup.
Stir it good!
Then, pour in the birdseed and stir to coat.
(Notice I pre-measured everything so all Gavin did was pour things in.)
After it's coated completely, spoon it into a bundt pan and press down.
Wet hands were best to get it nice and pressed.
Only needed to leave it overnight, but we left it two days....because that was when Uncle Ronny was able to come over and hang it up for us!

Didn't it turn out great!!
Don't worry, Uncle Ron, I'll hold you steady.
We aren't superstitious people, who avoid playing under ladders, either.
(In fact, on Friday the 13th, I received the news I was promoted to full time at work!!)

OK...I'll let you play on the ladder for a minute.
Such a big boy :)
They turned out better than I had hoped!
Now get down before you fall and hurt yourself :)


No comments:

Post a Comment