Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The Amazing Mater Cake

Amazing doesn't even to begin to describe my feelings on this cake!
Back when I first started talking to Gavin about having a birthday party I asked him what he would want. 

He said, "There be cake and sing Happy Birthday to me?!"
Me: "Yes, honey, of course!"

Me: "What kind of cake would you like to have?"
Gavin: "A Mater cake."
I was expecting a chocolate or vanilla response, so you can imagine my spinning head, when he said that! How the heck am I going to make a Mater cake?!

But I was determined to try. So I googled it. And I researched a little bit about carving and fondant. And you know what I came up with?....THERE IS NO WAY I CAN DO THIS! 

Then I recalled going to Gavin's friend Kyle's birthday party a few weeks back. He had a pretty impressive Sponge Bob cake. So I inquired about it and learned it was made by his neighbor. She makes cakes on the side. I thought about it. And it was either late one night after Gavin had gone to sleep or I was sitting at work and sent a quick email....but I messaged her. She said she was available that weekend. I sent her a couple pictures I had found from my original google search. She said she could do them and listed her prices. I agreed. And the cake was  in progress. Let me tell you this, after seeing and picking up this cake, she should have charged double! I'm glad she didn't, because then I wouldn't have these pictures, because I wouldn't have been able to afford it. But she outdid my expectations tenfold! TENFOLD!!

She is also very easy going and flexible. Everything was done via email. Sad, really. That I've not met or talked to this remarkable woman who helped make my son's birthday memorable, but I have a feeling I'll meet her one day. I'm hoping to reserve her creative ability next September for Gavin's 4th. Whatever he may wish for, I know she will be able to do it.

Please check her out if you're in the area. She is from Rossford.

After the party, I learned she created a blog! Just like mine! If you're interested to see the Mater cake progression, Please look! 
She's AMAZING!

No comments:

Post a Comment