Friday, September 16, 2011

The Amazing Mater Pinata

There is a 3rd birthday coming up at our house and the birthday boy is Mater crazed. Not Lightning McQueen. It's all about Mater. This is also the first birthday that we can celebrate all together. (kinda) We are having a party the Sunday before his birthday. But he doesn't know what day it is yet, right?! Last year, Daddy was on the road and the year before, Daddy had knee surgery. That Daddy is doing everything he can to be here this year!

And I'm doing everything I can to make this party extra special for him.
Our current budget doesn't allow much, so I'm getting creative.

Since we invited family, friends and neighbors over for a cook-out, I thought there would be enough kids to warrant a pinata. I found this one online for the cool price tag of $48. Plus $18 shipping. UNFILLED. No joke. So I did what anyone would do....
I dropped my jaw in shock, closed the browser and found this bath toy to use as inspiration.
Then I looked at my closet full of diaper boxes that I never throw away because I just know they will come in use for something.
And today they did.
So did this other box I was able to snag from work.
This box was used for the bed of the truck. Which is also where all the goodies are hibernating.
I took some scissors to the boxes and then used masking tape to reassemble them. Why, you ask? Well, because odds are that most 3 year olds aren't going to be able to smash open a cardboard diaper box. It's just not in their power. But a flimsy box? Why, yes. It should be perfect!
I did use some duct tape to connect the top box to the bottom. Otherwise, I was afraid that the bed would fall from the cab from the weight of the goods, before any bat swinging even occurred.
Then I used some rubber cement and a roll of brown crepe paper. 
(The crepe paper was the only purchase I made in this creation for $1.98-I bought the jumbo roll)
Then I started drawing, cutting and pasting.
Doesn't he look super excited?!
There you have it.
The Amazing Mater for $1.98 + goodies...and a few hours of time.
Not too shabby....
for a rookie.

Did I mention rookie? Ya...I forgot one essential thing of a pinata. A hook of some type to hang it with!!
It's still a work in progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment