Monday, May 30, 2011

Two left feet

Ever since I bought Gavin his rain boots, which are spectacular by the way, he has learned he can put them on and take them off all by himself. This has led to him being much more active in attempting to put his sneakers on as well. Also, Awesome.

The trick is to get them on the right feet. When I say *right* feet, I mean the correct feet. Every morning as we get dressed we talk about the right foot and left foot. Even when we are in a hurry, we at least say them out loud as we put them on. I know deep inside that this information is registering, although it is only demonstrated seventy percent of the time. Having only two feet there is a fifty-fifty shot he gets it right, so odds are he is definitely processing the difference.

The other morning as we were rushing around to get out the door by 7AM, I asked Gavin to go get his shoes and socks to get ready to leave as I finished packing up his french toast to take to daycare. (Gavin is a slow eater, so on mornings we need to leave by 7, I still make him whatever he wishes, usually french toast or oatmeal, and we take it to daycare to eat) I hope I never get to the day I merely toss him a cereal bar or a pop-tart and call it a good start to his day. Wishful thinking? Perhaps. But if they come, may they be few and far between.

OK, back to the feet. After getting his breakfast, my purse, and work stuff into the car, I came in to help him finish getting his feet covered. If you have a toddler, you know they reach this age where they must do everything themselves. It can be quite a battle sometimes. But I don't discourage it, because I want him to be able to do it himself. Some mornings, just a little faster....

So this is how it played out:

Gavin is feverishly trying to get his socks on his feet.

Me: "Want Mommy to help you?"

Gavin: "No, I do it myself, Mommy." (he continues to lunge forward and attempt to pull his socks over his toes.)

Me: "Are you sure I can't help you get them part way on?" (I'm watching the clock tick and realize I might be risking a speeding ticket if we don't get out this door very soon)

The clock is ticking.

*Gavin successfully gets his sock over his foot*

*He pulls with all his might to get it over his heel.*

*He is unsuccessful*

Gavin: "Mommy, it's wrong foot!" (As he looks at me with a crinkly nose like I was suppose to correct him)

*He pulls the sock off and moves it to the other foot.*

Still ticking.

Well folks, I am now assured that he knows there is a difference between right and left feet.

I pulled into the parking lot of work right on time.

I now set my alarm fifteen minutes earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment