Tuesday, March 30, 2010

18 Months!!

Gavin is 18 months old today!! Where does the time go?! Some days feel as if they will never end...then before you know it, another month has disappeared. It is one crazy magic act. This week Gavin moved up to his new room at daycare. He is officially a toddler!! However, I think he began this stage long ago.

I have been fortunate to have spent some extra time with him over the last two months. I think I would have missed him grow up a bunch had I not. He is growing by leaps and bounds. It seems as if it were just yesterday he was wiggling across the floor...and now he is RUNNING! He has also become more affectionate lately. Here is a BIG hug for you! :)
Believe it or not, I have become awful at the picture taking the last two weeks. I blame it on adjusting to the new hours, routines, and training for my new job. Give us another week and I'm sure we will be back on track with hundreds a week! We have established a good routine at night. After dinner, we have a bath, books and then bed. He more often than not, will pick up his blankie, sit in my lap and say "night night" by 8 o'clock. The earlier hours make us all ready for a bed a wee bit earlier.
Any new interests?
Playing outside, running, jumping, dancing, and climbing!
You even spell the word o-u-t-s-i-d-e, and he is off getting his coat on. I'm so happy Spring has arrived and we can spend more time outside and travel to parks and other adventures!
He now sits at the table like a big boy, with a booster seat, of course. Farewell highchair. He even climbs in it himself! As for eating habits, he has become a very "picky" eater. However, leave him at the table long enough and he will eat what's in front of him. I've learned to accept that on the days that he doesn't, he is not going to starve.
If you recall a picture from a post or two ago when we went to the part, you'll also recall how he leans his head forward when starting to run. Not sure if he thinks this gives him the momentum he needs to go forward or run faster, but I love watching him do it. What I find absolutely hilarious is when he "jumps." I put that in quotes because what he is actually doing is bending his knees and bouncing. He kind of goes into a squat and then pops up over and over again. He is so funny! I love it!

What's he saying?
Momma, dadda, ball, book, dog, down, night-night, more, all done, hi, bye, bath, uh-oh, hat and boo!
Boo is his latest fascination. It started the other day when I was changing him and he pulled a blanket up over his head. I pretended not to see him and in a sing-song voice asked "Where's Gavin?" The next thing I knew, he pushed the blanket down and yelled Boo! I couldn't help but laugh out loud. Now he does it all the time.
Any bad habits?
Well....... we have begun the use of time-outs. There are times when it is obvious he is testing us to the limit. He knows when he shouldn't do something because right before he is about to do it he looks back at you to 1) see if you're watching and 2) waiting for you to say "no." There are other times, let's say for instance he is playing on the fireplace and tapping on the glass, and I tell him no....he looks back at me, turns around and taps it just one more time. Ah why, Gavin?? I'm not loving the little tests, nor am I enjoying the time outs. (time-outs consist of 1-2 minutes in his crib without any blankets or toys and the door shut) I come back in after 1-2 minutes with a smile and tell him again why he is in there, we get a hug and then go back to playing or eating, etc. Throwing food has become an obsession as well. I've decided that if he wants to throw food at Grandpa's house it's fair game. Grandpa throws back....hahaha. Green beans were raining in the kitchen this past Sunday with Grandpa. Food, however, will not fly at home. Nor will dog food. Patience, Patience, Patience! As my mom says, "Pay now, or pay later." I choose now. I repeat this to myself every tantrum as he throws himself onto the floor screaming. I choose now, I choose now, I choose now.


Tomorrow is my little boy's first haircut. I think I might cry. I know it's time. His curls are cute right after a bath and when it's sprinkling out and we run to the car, but in the morning, it's one hot mess! I told myself I was ready. I gave in to daddy saying it's past time. But now that's it's scheduled....I'm sad :(
Stay tuned to see how this spectacular event turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment