Tuesday, April 12, 2011

A lesson on childproofing

I learned that people with kids don't necessarily have childproof homes this afternoon.

A couple days before heading to Florida we went to see a friend and her 1 month old baby girl--in her NOT childproof home...yet.

She now has a few ideas...
Gavin fed the dogs a wagon load of cat food for a pre-dinner treat...
Played with her breast pump pieces as they were drying within toddler reach on the counter. Emptied the toilet paper roll into the toilet because blue water is just really cool.  OH, and may or may not have tasted some Windex. Luckily, of all the bottles he picked out of her "cleaning" cabinet, he picked the "99% all Natural Windex"...he told me it was yucky....how do you know? Did you taste it? Gavin, DID YOU PUT THIS IN YOUR MOUTH?" "No mommy", was his answer. This did not stop me from grabbing his face and sticking my nose practically down his throat. Figured I would be able to smell it. I sighed heavily when I smelled nothing. Maybe he was telling the truth, maybe he only put it up to his mouth and sniffed it and realized it wasn't a water bottle. The bottle said nothing of poison control anywhere like the rest of the cleaners did. It said no ammonia, bleach, phosphorus, or dyes. I didn't feel completely better. I debated "99% natural" and "OMG, my child may have ingested Windex and is going to get really sick and die" as I pumped him full of water, pretzels and fruit snacks allowing him to stay up well past his bedtime.  He's fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment