Friday, September 30, 2011

From Mom, on your birthday

Dear G,

I can't believe you are THREE years old today! But at the same time, I can't believe you are only three. 

I feel like you've been in my life forever.

How did this happen? 

You're growing up so much every single day!

But I think I like it. Three is looking really good on you! In the last few months, you've changed dramatically.
You look older. You talk older. You and I, we can have a complete conversation. You have found an art in negotiating, and while I still win most of the time, I love that determination in you to seek out a compromise.
This will be a great characteristic as you grow up. 

This past year has been a little tough with Daddy on the road. But you know what, we make a good team, you and me.

We have found routines.We've found compromise. We've found tantrums and time-outs.

Yep, We've found lots of things out about each other.

I love that you love to draw, ride your bike, dress-up in costumes, play cars, build legos, and bake cookies, and dance and sing! I love listening to you sing! I love how inquisitive you are.

You are amazingly smart! You can count to thirty (you miss a number here and there, but you do it) You love to take things apart. You can take apart your tractor and put it back together easily. You love puzzles! In fact you are up to doing 48 piece puzzles all by yourself! You can point out letters of the alphabet on request. You pick out your own clothes and dress yourself most of the time. You know left and right, (most of the time), and directions on how to get places visited frequently, such as school, store and grandma and grandpas. "Turn here, Mom, slow down...the road is coming up....etc" You even know your address! Also, you remember EVERYTHING! This is good and bad :)

At mealtime, you *always* ask to help me – no matter who is here or what you are doing.  You like to stir and pour and measure. Of course, you like to taste test too – which I usually let you do.
When I ask you if you want milk , apple juice, or water. You always chose apple juice. You drink two gallons of apple juice a week. Seriously.

Gavin, you are THREE!

Did you know that three years ago at this moment, I was getting wired up with IVs, wondering what you would look like when you arrived. And then you did, and my world changed forever.
You have grown from the tiny little infant to the sweet, caring, hilarious little boy that you are today, your daddy and I couldn’t be more proud of you. I say always that I want to freeze time, to keep you never-changing as the cool little dude that you are right now … but then I wouldn’t get to see the next stage of your life … which always turns out to be more fun than the last. 

You are the coolest little boy, Gavin. You are so happy, and so sweet. You love meeting new people … no one is ever a stranger to you...after about 20 minutes.  You run, you play, you scream, you smile. You flip and jump and do somersaults. You are full of happiness and life and love. You are a cuddler, a laugher, a ham and a sweetheart.

You love climbing and building. You love Dora the Explorer, (you want to be Swiper for Halloween), Bubble Guppies and Chuggington. You love markers and wearing both my and your daddy’s shoes. You love eating peanut butter on bread and smarties and popcorn. You love brushing your teeth and swimming and balloons. You love your family, and love chasing the dogs. You are also a fan of Jazz, the snotty, sneezing cat.

My wish for you this birthday is that you continue to grow into the sweet boy that I know you’ll become. That you keep this cheer and love in your heart forever. That you remember that family is the most important thing in life, and not to take them for granted … that we will be there for you forever, holding your hand and guiding you through life when you need it.

We love you, Gavin!
Happy Birthday!

Today, you are THREE!

Love always!
Mom and Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment