Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Far from a shelfinista

Ummmm, what the????

"Goooood Morning, Sunshine!!
Why are you barricaded in your room?"

"Firehose did it."
(without a second thought)

Busted!


This was Firehose's last night flying back from the North Pole. I wanted to say I did something fun.

We've had the trendy Elf on A Shelf for 3 years now. However, this is his first year coming to life.
This year, he became REAL.
Here's my thoughts on Firehose. (the novelty, not his name)

I assumed this Elf on a Shelf gig was pretty low maintenance, right? I mean, as soon as I heard about it, I went and bought one. Gavin was barely two months old.

Coincidentally, the year our elf comes alive is the same year that Pinterest runs rapid. Suddenly, there are minions of mothers destroying those of us who subscribe to the simple Elf on a Shelf fun. These Elf on a Shelfinistas continually set the bar higher with elaborate Elf on a Shelf pranks and portrait sessions that take longer than the line to purchase last minute gifts the day before Christmas.


You’ve got your thrill-seeking zip lining elves, your makeshift hot tub in a coffee mug elves, and your “don’t be naughty” note writing elves. It's endless. It's crazy. One list of 101 Elf on a Shelf ideas suggests taking an old toilet and having the elf sit on it in the front yard. Right? Because I have an old toilet hanging out in my basement. Our house is much simpler.

The first thing Gavin has done each morning these past couple of weeks, is search for Firehose. I’m absolutely thrilled he is getting into it. Firehose brings a touch of magic to our day, a touch of magic that involves zero props or elf hijinks. Firehose mischievously moves every night as Gavin is peacefully sleeping. He just has fun exploring our house. He doesn’t make flour snow angels in the kitchen or create snowballs fights with marshmallows.

Our elf is doing good to just move to a new spot on a daily basis.
Every night, usually when I’m good and settled in under the covers with a book, I have an “OH CRAP I forgot to move Firehouse” moment. Then I quietly sneak downstairs to do the deed. On a few occasions, it's even been in the morning before I hear the squeak of Gavin's bedroom door opening. There is not a minute left in my day nor a morsel of creativity left in my brain for extraordinary feats of Elfdom. You see, we have an Elf on a Shelf, not an Elf on a Mission To Give Mom A Nervous Breakdown.

I do think the Elf antics are cute. Some of them. I have a Pinterest board collecting ideas that I will never use. Because if I did, I would be obligated to do more the next year. And even more all the subsequent years after that. To do less one year would be disappointing. It's more than I could handle.

I'm keeping it simple.
Keeping it magical.
Keeping my sanity.


*Side note*
Firehouse did leave a few "gifts" if you will. Gavin needed new pajamas. His are all warm weather jams, and he hates to be covered up. So I bought some fleece PJs and put them in his drawer. When he opened his drawer that night after bath, HE jumped to the conclusion that Firehose brought them....I just went with it. Another "gift" this month were some new underoos now that he is potty trained. I left them hanging from the tree versus putting them in his drawer. He didn't even notice them until that night!

No comments:

Post a Comment