Friday, January 13, 2012

Did I just save over $400 on my 400th post?!

How coincidental is that?!
(Not coincidental at all. I made it last week and waited 3 more posts to post this one)

We have a Tide household. I grew up with Tide. Kept using it when Gavin was born, although I switched to Tide Free. I didn't see it necessary to have Tide for Tim and I, and Dreft (the detergent everyone recommends for newborns) for Gavin.
He has been just fine the last three years.

Over the last few months, I've come across many concoctions to make your own laundry soap.
I finally caved and did it!
I do a lot of laundry.
Gavin gets dirty.
Dogs make messes.
Daddy doesn't exactly smell like petunias when he gets home.

I figure a bottle of Tide costs approximately $12. I easily buy a bottle every 1-2 weeks.
See these ingredients below?
I even splurged and bought the Downy Unstopables fragrance thingies to add in.
Cost...$22
That's with the six dollar splurge.
Supposedly will last me approximately 9 months.

If that is the case. I just saved FOUR HUNDRED dollars!


I grated the soap and dumped everything into a garbage bag lined bucket.

Mixed it all together by tying the bag and swooshing it around like play-doh.

Ta-dah!!

Being I made it last week, I've used it on several loads already. It works!
How long will it really last?
We will find out.

There are several concoctions. Google them.

My concoction:

1 4 lb 12 oz box of Borax
1 4 lb box Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
2 2lb boxes Arm & Hammer Baking Soda
3 bars of Fels-naptha soap
1 3lb container of oxyclean
1 bottle of Downy Unstopables Fresh fragrance.

**Note: The Unstopables are quite fragrant until you get them in a sealed jar. **
I picked this jar up at Target.

No comments:

Post a Comment