Monday, December 14, 2009

The Lights Before Christmas

After a very cold week and 60 mile an hour winds, the weekend turned into some nice weather. I don't mean 70s and sunshine, but it was perfect for a trip to the Toledo Zoo. I've lived here how many years, and I don't ever remember going to see the Lights Before Christmas. We went and had dinner with Grandma and Grandpa Ivoska and then we all loaded up and headed to see them.
I can only imagine how much time it takes to decorate this place!
In the Pavilion, there are several trees and lights that are synched with Christmas music. It was really neat to stand and watch for a few minutes. I, myself, could have watched them longer, but some restless boys had to keep moving. The zoo was packed this night and it was tougher than you would think to just stand still. People just brushing by you, between you..etc. This is amazingly a clear shot of one of the trees without many people crossing the way.
Don't worry, the zoo is not on fire. Doesn't it look AMAZING!
I think Gavin was taking in the lights. He would look up when we pointed to the big trees.
Along the way we came across a group of ducks waddling around. Tim, the hunter, had to stop and try and get them to come near...at first I went for a picture, but then thought..wait a minute, ducks are dirty, AND might peck my little boy!
As always, I forgot something. I left my hat on the island at my parents on the way out the door. Lucky me, Tim let me wear his and he pulled his hoodie up. Naturally, my coat had a hood on it at one time too, but I had taken it off because I had a hat. This did not surprise anyone. I always forget something.

This is one of the first trees we came upon after arriving at the zoo. What a big blue tree! We went and stood under and looked up the middle at all the lights. It was pretty neat. That is us standing in front of it.
What fun it will be to dance to the Christmas music in the Pavilion next year!! Someone is still a tad unstable moving quickly...especially on very unlevel ground. He was ready to check things out though:)
The family!
Before heading home, we went inside the aquarium to warm up. But wait, didn't I say it was a nice night? Yes, it was, but it's still winter and lengthy exposure to the cold will eventually give you a chill. Plus Gavin had fallen a few times, and his gloves were soaked and had to come off. We went in long enough to look at a few fish and warm our hands and noses. Gavin liked looking in the fish tanks.
He did not like being told not to sit on the ledge in front of the tank, or not to touch the glass. I must also note that it's after 8 and getting close to bedtime. He is breaking in two more molars and his eye teeth right now as well. He tends to put his two fingers in him mouth when they are bothering him. So add the time of evening, the teeth, the cold, and the overwhelming excitement all together and ....
......we decide to head home:) Overall, a successful first trip to the lights!

Thanks for coming with us Grandma and Grandpa!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome pics. What kind of camera do you have? Because mine pretty much stinks, and I need a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a Sony Cyber-shot. It's 7.2 megapixels. We got it a few years ago for Christmas so I'm sure they have vastly improved since then. I can't keep up with technology. I'm still learning how to use this one!! ha

    ReplyDelete